Points of interest
Around 1560 Matthijs Berck, a wine merchant, moved into the medieval house which his wife had inherited from her father Hubert Tack. He converted it into a good-sized merchant's house with cellars for wine storage. Many distinguished people, including the Duke of Alva, the Earl of Leicester and Prince William of Orange, stayed here when they visited the city.
The municipality of Dordrecht bought the premises in 1783. Since then much of the house has been altered and demolished, so we no longer see it in its original state. Many people, including soldiers, marksmen, students and artists have lived in the premises in the past 200 years.
During the investigation into the building history in 1993 a ceiling was revealed with rare clay plasterwork from 1560. In the second half of the 16th century many plasterers lived in the city. This unusual plasterwork has been restored. The historic wooden spiral staircase to the attic has also been retained. The Berckepoort is connected to the Augustijnenkerk [Augustine Church] via new constructed elements.
- Type of building
- Historic building
- Building style of accommodation
- Year of construction
Sights, activities & experiences
- Type of monument
- commercial building
Locatie op kaart